Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Boring running details

In an effort to get the week off to a good start, get a taste of longer distances, and give my weight loss efforts a shot in the arm, I ran my longest daily run yet (for this year). About 7.1 miles, with small detour*. My goal was to see if I could do this with an 8 minute mile. This would fortify my hope that I can scale my workout pace up to longer distances, and maybe even The Distance.

Turns out I did hit the target, by a wide margin. So wide, in fact (much closer to a 7 minute mile) that I am beginning to doubt the accuracy of the distance measurement I am using (a running map of the Charles River I got off the web). I plan to measure this on Google Maps, and hope to give an update.

Regardless of the time, I am encouraged that I felt so good throughout the run. Frankly, I think my biggest challenge for these longer runs will be getting into the office early enough so I can get these longer runs done and still start work at my regular time. Included in this challenge is getting to bed early enough the previous night so that I'm not doing my workout on a severe sleep deficit.

I tried something new-- skipping breakfast at home and running on an empty stomach. From what I've read, this is ok. Its fasting after a run that is not recommended. I did this to push the weight loss a little. I have maintained the weight loss of a few weeks ago, but things have stagnated lately.

*The detour is because the BU Bridge does not connect to the river path directly, on the south (BU) side. You have to take a little jog on the BU Campus to a footbridge that crosses Storrow Drive to get to the south side river path. The detour is about half a mile, by my best guess. I'm not sure the river running maps account for this.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?