Monday, April 24, 2006

 

Encountering my limits

Last week it was the Achilles tendon. This week it is the knees. In neither case was it serious, but I feel my joints are sending me a message to take it easy. This gives me pause, and for the first time I am considering the possible scenario where I have to give up on the marathon quest. For now I am hopeful, but I can't take anything for granted. I'm sure the power train is up to the task, but the suspension is another question.

Last week I did my first >15 mile week in I don't know how long, ending in another 7.1 mile run (same 8 minute pace!) I'm glad I did this before the official start of training, because I'd be bad to run into knee trouble then. I'm hoping that if I slowly try to build up the weekly mileage (alternating light weeks and "stretch" weeks) I'll be in ok shape for the official training.

The other thing I need to do is push the weight loss a little harder, since every pound less is that much less stress on knees, shins, etc. This has been a struggle for me lately-- I've maintained but not continued the loss. I hope to blog on this soon.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?