Monday, June 05, 2006

 

Approaching a starting line, of sorts

I have my training schedule printed out and taped to my wall. This shows the starting date of my official training as June 26. I think of this as a starting line that will end when I finish the marathon in October. I have some of the same feelings of excitement and nervousness that I feel before a race.

The schedule starts off quite easy-- no more demanding than what I am doing on a good week now. After the first couple of weeks it slowly ramps up. I feel pretty confident that I can keep up with this progress. What concerns me most is how I will stick to it through thick and thin (barring serious injury). If I have a tough week due to family or work, I'm going to have to be very diligent about preserving my training time. This might mean going to bed at 8:30 to catch up on lost sleep, even if there's other stuff I'd like to do. Or waking up very early on a week day if I have been unable to get the long run done on the weekend.

Between now and June 26, I'm planning on keeping up my light to moderate workout schedule (10-15 miles a week). I think the most fruitful thing for me to do now is to focus on weight loss. I've been a little sloppy on my eating habits lately, and missed the opportunity for some progress on that front. I'd like to be below 200 by the start of official training. Every little bit lost is that much less risk of injury.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?