Tuesday, June 20, 2006

 

Flipping the switch

In the last post I mentioned the book "Flipping the switch", whose title inspired me, tho I have not read it. So what flipped my switch? I'm still not sure exactly how it happened. Like most overweight people I had wanted to lose the weight, and most I made some effort towards that goal. But the efforts were always temporary. I had many good reasons to lose, and the sum of all the good reasons was an enormous incentive, but still I could not make the big change.

The decisive factor was when a couple of family members decided to go on the Atkins diet. I had looked into this diet but decided I didn't like it. Not liking it, as in thinking it was a bad idea. I read one of his books, and found his tone troublesome-- a little too fanatical. Also, I was at that point in time feeling inclined towards becoming vegetarian, so I found myself liking it even less. I knew that many people had some sucess with Atkins, and expected these family members would too (they did, temporarily). So at that point I imagined the possiblity that my kids would mainly know two kinds of people in their family: the overweight (including myself) and the slim Atkins dieters. I knew there was a more sensible way, but the only way I could promote it would be to live it.

Somehow, that was enough to do the trick. There are many other factors that helped me stay the course once I got going. Also, there have been a few slight setbacks here and there. But I believe the turning point was the realization that I had to live what I believe, or else the kids are never going to buy it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?