Friday, June 09, 2006

 

Thinking about those Cape Cod hills

I've been looking at the message boards on the C.C.M. web site, and seeing some discussion about the hills in the final third of the course. Looks like they should not be underestimated. The consensus is that each "rolling" hill is in itself not a big deal, but they come one after another and the cumulative effect can be rough if you are not prepared.

I've been looking for ways to add hills to my runs. The Charles River paths, while otherwise ideal, are very flat (if you don't count the bridge crossings). At home, the rail trail has a long grades, but not a lot of short rolling hills. So I think I will have to use a little ingenuity to come up with workouts that give the effect of back to back rolling hills.

Today while running an easy three miler around Fresh Pond, I tried a variation. Along the north side of the pond there is a scenic detour that goes up a small hill and then back down again to rejoin the paved path. It is a dirt trail with some uneven terrain, so I can't keep an even pace as on a road. Still, its a hill. So I tried taking the detour, doubling back, then turning around once more for a third pass, then going on my way on the paved path. Either I'm really good, or the hill isn't substantial enough, because I didn't feel the least put out by this (I suspect the second possibility is more to the truth).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?