Saturday, July 22, 2006

 

Flipping the little switch

By which I mean overcoming the current inertia to make changes and achieve my latest goal. I have mentioned before that I wanted to lose some pounds before getting into the serious training. Well, I failed that. The good news, at least is I did not gain back anything since my small weight drop a couple of months ago.

However, I still slightly disappointed by my lack of progress. I know exactly what I need to do, but have been unable to muster the will to achieve it. Essentially, I just need to knock off the treats, or the second helpings.

I know that I will lose some pounds simply by cranking up the mileage. However, I would be much better off making a concentrated effort to speed this up by watching the diet. The biggest hazard I face is joint injury, and every pound less means that much less stress on the joints with every stride I take. Sure, I will lose weight when I am running 25+ mile weeks, but do I really want to be carrying 10 excess pounds over those 25 miles?

This post has existed in draft form for a few weeks now. I have been struggling with how to write it without being too confessional (what would be the point?). Also, I have no great wisdom about how to break out of this rut. But I think my experience is shared by many, if not all, of the people who have to work hard at weight loss and maintenance. I offer this post as in illustration of the human condition--the amazing capacity we have to look at the facts, see very clearly the right path to take, and then not take it!

The only hope I can offer is to take it one day at a time (hardly a new insight, I know!). Congratulate yourself on the good decisions you make, don't despair at the bad decisions, but keep the goal in mind.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?