Monday, July 31, 2006

 

Ten mile race

On Friday, I ran the Blessing of the Fleet 10 mile road race, in Narragansett, RI. My time? 1:19:55, of course (that's almost exactly 8 minutes per mile, which seems to be my predestined pace). I should feel very good about this, but I am a little disappointed because I was hoping for a faster pace. The reason I hoped for a faster pace is so that I can have more confidence about doing the 8-minute pace in the marathon.

I know that my goal for my first marathon should be simply to finish, but I can't shake the hope of an 8 minute pace. This is because that pace will give you a finish time of 3:30. Not only that, but it gives you enough slack that if you slip to 9 minute miles, you will still finish in under 4 hours (just under). If I had done the ten miler with a pace comfortably below 8 minutes, I'd be more hopeful about meeting my marathon hope.

I ran pretty hard for the race, and felt pretty beat afterwards, so is there any hope I can keep that pace for 16.2 miles longer? That is the question. I'm hoping 3 more months of training, plus crisp October weather, plus months of hopes and dreams, will help me reach that goal.

But enough about disappointment and future concerns. It was a great race, tons of runners, scenic locale, and enthusiastic crowd. Running with the crowd was very exciting, even if I was seriously boxed in for the first mile, and had occasional traffic problems throughout. The weather had been very hot and humid all day, but storms were threatening by start time. Between miles 5 and 6 the sky got really dark and lightening was spotted. Just as I passed mile six, and turned down a tree-shaded road, the sky opened up and we were all drenched. It felt good, and the scene was slightly surreal-- running along with hundreds of people in pouring rain. I'm not sure if the rain helped or hurt. It definitely mitigated the heat and humidity, but the drenched shoes and clothes may have been a little detrimental.

After the race, a massive street celebration. I met up with my brother Matt, who also ran, and compared notes. All in all a good time.

Will post soon with more thoughts on this race.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?