Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 

5k OK

I ran a 5K last Sunday, the CVS Downtown 5K that I have been doing with my brother and sister for the last 4 years. I was wondering whether all this marathon training would make much of a distance in the shorter run. Turns out it made a big difference- I hit my PR (21:49), and won the family race (last 3 times I was in third place so I think I'm entitled to brag now!).

It was hard keeping the pace, and I was definitely ready to quit at the end. But for most of the race I felt pretty good. I found myself passing quite a few people after the 2 mile mark. My memory of previous years is that at that point in the race people started to pass me more than the other way around.

They instituted a "wave start" this year, so there was much less of a problem with being boxed in at the beginning, which no doubt helped my time too.

This Friday: the big 18 miler. This will be my last big run that I attempt to do before work. I am counting on taking a little vacation (an hour or two) time since I doubt I can run 18 miles and be ready for work by 8 a.m.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?